After years of telecom turmoil, voice and data service providers continue to look first to the traditional telecom equipment manufacturers when purchasing networking services. Notwithstanding strong competition from broader-based IT services and solutions firms, regional Bell operating companies, long distance carriers, wireless and Internet service providers, and ASP and broadband providers view firms like Lucent, Nortel, and Cisco as their top choices for networking services.
This ITSMA report provides a detailed assessment of buyer perceptions of today’s top network services firms, with a focus on both network professional services and network rollout and support services. Based on interviews with 300 networking and business executives from the service provider and telecom carrier market, the report is designed to help networking services organizations plan marketing initiatives, shape market perceptions, and track the effectiveness of marketing programs on an ongoing basis.
Key findings in the report include the following:
- Unaided and aided awareness of firms providing network professional services and network rollout and support services
- Firms that buyers are most likely to call for network services
- Familiarity, favorability, and preference toward specific firms
- Market positioning of leading network services firms
- Importance of different attributes of network services firms and ratings of attributes for specific firms
- Network service buyers’ goals and priorities
- Sources of information that influence buyers of network services
|Companies covered in the report include:|
– Cap Gemini Ernst & Young
– Cisco Systems
– IBM Global Services
|– KPMG Consulting (now BearingPoint)
– Lucent Technologies
– Nortel Networks
ITSMA conducted telephone interviews between May and August 2002 with 300 US-based decision makers, including networking technology and business executives, from the service provider and telecom carrier market. All respondents were from organizations with at least $200 million in annual revenue and with recent purchases of network services from external firms.
Respondent Titles and Responsibilities
|Business executives||39%||C-level/Vice president||24%||Converged voice and data||39%|
|Network executives||61%||Director||60%||Internet/data networks||22%|