“Marketing is the best job,” declares Valerie Beaulieu, Chief Marketing Officer, Microsoft US, Microsoft Corporation. Despite challenging times for Chief Marketing Officers (CMOs), who are now tasked with taking a leadership role in their companies’ digital transformations, Beaulieu is excited, not deterred by these challenges.
In this Viewpoint, Beaulieu shares why this is the most exciting time to be a marketer and offers insights on how to tackle some of the biggest obstacles facing CMOs. The bottom line? Despite the challenges facing marketers, it’s still important to have fun in the process. Marketers are at the core and the heart of digital transformation for their companies. For Beaulieu, seeing the change in how the rest of the company values what marketing is doing and learning about customers is what drives her passion.
Some of the key takeaways include:
- CMOs are challenged to balance personalization and privacy, drive growth and life-time value, and assemble a marketing team to thrive in the transformed marketing environment.
- Culture can make you or break you; a well-articulated culture builds brand trust through consistency.
- Start with your team; the right hiring and professional development strategy will enable diverse capabilities.
- Data and technology are essential tools for modern marketing; memorable experiences will drive customer delight and lifetime value.
- First listen, then engage; build the journeys that will show customers you know them.