Marketing technology for ABM is a hot topic these days. The motivations to use it are many: scaling an ABM program, improving its efficiency, or just getting on the marketing technology bandwagon. Regardless of why you’re evaluating marketing technologies, you’ll quickly find that despite all of the talk, there are in fact very few currently on the market that address the specific needs of ABM. But all is not lost! There are many ways in which a wide variety of technology tools can be effectively applied to ABM programs. All this requires is a clear vision of the goal, some creativity and experimentation, and a healthy dose of patience.
In this Update, we evaluate the most valuable types of technology tools according to the key activities associated with ABM. And in ITSMA parlance, ABM means treating individual accounts as markets of one, with tailored messages, accounts-specific value propositions, and a joint marketing and sales plan.
- Marketing technology can be an effective component of scaling ABM programs, but it requires creative thinking to adapt tools that were not necessarily designed to support an account-based view of the world.
- The most useful tools for ABM are often the ones that have already been implemented and widely adopted, specifically customer relationship management (CRM), marketing automation, business intelligence (BI), and content management tools.
- Integration, especially of marketing automation and CRM systems, is critical for success.
- Applying marketing technology to ABM can yield useful lessons that can be applied to broad-based campaigns as well. Likewise, successful use of marketing technology tools in larger campaigns may offer effective templates for designing ABM campaigns.
- For truly effective reporting and analysis of ABM on both the account and program level, corporate BI tools are the best option.