Account-Based Marketing (ABM) is one of the hottest trends in B2B marketing for a very simple reason: It works.
Some 84% of companies engaged in ABM say the ROI is higher than for other types of marketing and about the same number say both that it is already a key aspect of their marketing strategy and that its importance continues to grow. More than two thirds of companies will increase spending on ABM in 2016.
In response to the growing demand for ABM, companies have begun to develop three different approaches to enable faster program expansion and broader coverage of accounts: strategic ABM, ABM lite, and programmatic ABM.
At the same time, however, it is still early days for ABM. Most companies have only begun their ABM programs within the last two years; almost half just within the last year.
ITSMA’s new study, Fueling the Account-Based Marketing Fire, documents the rapid growth of ABM, the development of the three approaches, and the challenges of scaling ABM programs beyond the initial pilot phase.
Based on survey data as well as in-depth interviews with leading ABM practitioners, the study provides detailed data on:
- The importance of ABM
- Types of ABM currently implemented
- Impact of ABM on all of marketing
- Size of the ABM budget
- Technologies used to support ABM
- Approaches to scaling ABM
- Experience levels and stages of adoption for each type of ABM
- Marketing and Sales alignment
- Campaign tactics
- Key metrics
The study report also provides insight into the key failure points that companies must overcome in scaling ABM programs and strategic recommendations to ensure program growth and success.
- Web-based Survey
- Survey invitations were emailed during March 2016 to ITSMA member and select non-member companies
- 112 primarily marketers at B2B technology and business services companies completed the survey
- Qualitative Interviews
- 12 marketing leaders were interviewed by ITSMA, 8 are members of the ITSMA Account-Based Marketing Council
Participant Offer for Members
This report is available for no additional fee to current ITSMA members that responded to this survey.
Member Participants: request a copy of the report (no additional fee). Orders will be processed the next business day.