The path to marketing accountability and business impact is lined with data. If you have a data-driven marketing organization, you will see business benefits that fall directly to the bottom line. But becoming data driven isn’t easy and takes time.
This survey report looks at how marketers are using data to report marketing performance, inform decisions, predict buyer behavior, and forecast trends. It provides detail on the current state of data driven marketing, as well as what it takes to become a data savvy marketing organization.
- B2B services marketers recognize that data driven marketing is important
- Although most embrace the test and learn approach so critical in today’s marketing, very few consider themselves as leading edge users of marketing data
- And only a handful of senior executives are relying on marketing data to make decisions
- The most data savvy marketers report shorter sales cycles, lower sales costs, and greater improvements in market share
- Data savvy marketers share six traits: Time and experience, clear objectives and analytics leadership, a marketing technology strategy, data governance, dedicated analytics resources, and organizational outreach
- Web-based survey and 17 follow-up 30-minute qualitative phone interviews
- Survey invitations were emailed during March 2011 to ITSMA member and nonmember companies
- 107 representatives from 71 companies responded to the Web survey
- ITSMA analyzed the data by:
- Company type: Sells products and services or Primarily services
- Annual revenue: Less than $250M, $250M–$5B, More than or equal to $5B
- Degree of data usage and maturity: Data savvy and All others
This report is available for no additional fee to current ITSMA members that responded to this survey. Companies that are not members of ITSMA will receive an Executive Summary.
|Aditya Birla Minacs
ArcSight, an HP Company
Black & Veatch
CompuCom Systems, Inc.
Emerson Network Power | Avocent
I-Lek Technology, Inc.
IBM Global Business Services
Istituto Internazionale di Ricerca
KPIT Cummins Infosystems, Ltd.
Orange Business Services
Siemens Enterprise Communications
Siemens Medical Solutions
Tata Consultancy Services Limited